Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos

.
We have beans every Monday night!  (I wonder if my kids will ever eat beans again on a Monday after they leave home!)  I love beans and I am always looking for new ways to use them in recipes.  The combination of beans with sweet potatoes is really quite tasty.  Give it a try and see what you think!

1 T canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 medium green pepper, chopped

Saute above ingredients until tender.

Add to vegetables and stir one minute:
1 T chili powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t ground cumin

Add 1 tablespoon water and stir, scraping the pan to spread the chili powder and cumin throughout.

Stir in and cook until heated.
2 cups cooked and diced sweet potato
(I usually peel and dice the sweet potatoes then steam them until they still hold their form.)
2 cups cooked black beans or pinto beans (Canned beans would work fine too!)
1 cup frozen corn
juice from one lime

Serve in a flour tortilla with sour cream.  (It is good just by itself too.)

3 comments:

  1. Those look good! I'm just curious how you are cooking the sweet potatoes to keep their form - are you steaming, baking or boiling?

    Your tortilla looks great too - are they hand rolled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I peel and cube the sweet potatoes and then steam them until they still have their form.

    Yes, the tortillas are hand rolled. They are half whole wheat and half unbleached flour. I can't bring myself to buy tortillas ever since I started to make them from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two of my favorite foods wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla . . . I'm gonna have to try this recipe. It looks too deliciously nutritious to be true!

    ReplyDelete